Google Profiles Looking Weak To Me!


I recently entertained the idea of creating a Google Profile for myself and went through the process and decided to not use it. Why? Well, it did not have many feature that were up to my expectations, at least from Google. As far as reputation management goes, it will make a 1st page listing at the very bottom of the results page when someone searches your name. I think that is they really want to lure users in and entice them to use Google Profiles they should make the Profiles appear on the top of search results or within the search results like they do videos from time to time.

The #1 use of online profiles (As I See It) is for reputation management and reputation repair. The Google Profile offers very little in my opinion when dealing with reputation repair.

Sure, it is free and you might as well make a profile with them if you are actively repairing your reputation. The service has a few basic feature and none that really excite me. Here are the features as listed on Google’s site:

1. Receive messages. Enable the ‘Send a message’ feature to allow anyone with a Google Account to email you without revealing your email address.

2. Add photos. Enhance your profile by embedding photos from Flickr or Picasa.

3. Create a page about you. Write a short bio in the About me tab, reveal your superpower, and tell people what you still can’t find using Google.

4. Add your contact information. Share your information with your friends and family, so they always have the most up-to-date information. You control who sees it.

4. Add links to your other profiles and sites. Make it easier for friends to see your other content on the Web. You can link to Google content, including your Blogger blog, public Picasa Web Albums and Google Reader shared items as well as other pages on the Web such as Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

5. Show your location. ‘My places’ includes all the cities you’ve entered on your profile. Your current location and where you’ve lived are displayed on a map.

The best feature above in my opinion is the ability to link up to your other profiles like Twitter, faceBook, MySpace, and LinkedIn. I guess Google Profiles are not for me. I am certain many people will find a good use for them. If Google adds more visibility features to the profiles I will jump on board also.

What do you think about Google Profiles Service? Let us all know by posting a comment. Google if you read this will you please let us know if new feature may be on the way?

No response to “Google Profiles Looking Weak To Me!”

Post a Comment